Wheatley School & Wheatley Methodist Protestant Church
Community House History
Suellen Wheatley Wilkins
Information included here was obtained from Dorchester County land records, old documents, and oral accounts. An 1875 deed shows Jessie K. and Margaret Wheatley sold land (in Fork District “adjoining Wheatley Church and being part of the land known as Hog Yard”) to the Dorchester County Board of School Commissioners for thirty dollars ($30). A one room school was built on the land. There is no official record indicating the first year classes were held, in this building. Based upon the following, it is believed the building served as a school during the years 1876 –1877 thru school year 1935 – 1936:
(1) the historic 1877 Lake, Griffing & Stevenson Dorchester County map showing “School No. 4” located adjacent to a M. E. Church, within Fork District near Galestown,
(2) oral account of former Church member’s Wheatley School report card ending school year 1935-1936 and their following school year 1936-1937 report card being from Eldorado School,
(3) a 1935 Deed recording the Dorchester County Board of Education sold the same described land to the Wheatley M.P Church Trustees. The building has served as the Wheatley Community House since the church Trustees took ownership.